April 1st 2022 (flexible)
We offer a competitive compensation package including share options, subject to experience.
Semarion operates at the edge of the physical and life sciences by using microchip industry materials and techniques to transform cell-based research. The rate of data output during drug discovery work is often limited by the adherent nature of cell models. Our solution is simple: keep colonies of cells attached to a surface, but now bring this surface into suspension. We make this possible with our SemaCyte® cell assaying microcarrier platform. These materials are ultra-miniaturized, steerable wells which turn adherent cells into liquid reagents. With our SemaCytes we can accelerate, miniaturize, and multiplex cell assays to drive 10x gains in drug screening applications such as SAR studies, cell panel screening, or patient-derived cell work. Our platform can seamlessly integrate with existing workflows, while also enabling novel assay methodologies. Our mission is to revolutionize in vitro research on cell models to help create better medicines, faster.
We were founded in Cambridge, UK in 2018 by Jeroen Verheyen (CEO and a clinical neuroscientist), Tarun Vemulkar (CTO and an applied physicist), and Prof. Russell Cowburn (NED and Professor of Experimental Physics). Semarion secured a £250k pre-seed investment in 2020 with the Cambridge based healthcare accelerator StartCodon and has closed a seed round of funding in December 2021 of £2.14M. Post successful alpha trials of our technology platform in 2021 we are now expanding our operational team. We are in an exciting phase of product and application development with a focus on creating our first market ready product in 24 months.
Your responsibilities in the role
- Supervise and lead a small team working on internal and partnership projects around developing new cell assays and drug discovery applications for the SemaCyte® platform
- Hands-on cell biology lab work around application development. This includes developing, optimizing, and validating new cell-assay protocols and application areas
- Provide drug discovery application experience and expertise including recommending new applications and assays that suit our technology platform to help drive overall company strategy
- Interface with external partners in creating and running collaborative projects for new applications on the platform
- Work with Executive team in creating a roadmap for platform validation across a range of end-user application areas
- Ensure all reports and knowledge generated are recorded and captured appropriately
- Identify key new areas of innovation and contribute to IP generation
The qualities we are looking for
- Scientific curiosity and creativity: ability to identify interesting scientific results and build experiments to further explore them
- Evidence focus and open communication: strongly evidence based in approach and thrives on open discussions to solve challenging problems
- Integrity: live by our company values of exploration and inclusiveness
- Reliable: Delivers against agreed objectives
- Independence and teamwork: an ability to reliably execute deliverables within a broader context of communication and collaboration
- Dynamic: ability to thrive in the dynamic work environment of a small company that is in the early stages of product development
- Willingness to learn: stay professionally relevant, network, enjoy learning and setting ambitious goals for yourself and others
- Self-Awareness: understand how others perceive you; know your strengths and know your weaknesses
- Thrive on feedback: understand that receiving feedback well and providing it constructively is a vital part of building a team that makes progress
The background we are looking for
- Post-doctoral experience in working on drug discovery related projects, with significant experience in cell assay development and execution.
- A strong understanding of the drug discovery process, preferably with experience within the biotech/pharmaceutical/CRO sector
- In-depth knowledge of the various types of cell assays typically run to evaluate phenotypic and mechanistic responses of drug molecules in cells.
- Experience in managing a team and executing projects
- Experience in working in partnership projects across multiple collaborators would be an advantage
- A specialization or skill in one or more of the following areas would be an advantage: oncology, primary cells, assay ready cell development, project leadership
Working at Semarion
Semarion works at the University of Cambridge Department of Physics with a combination of hot-desking space at the Maxwell Centre and cell culture facilities at the Physics of Medicine Centre, both based at the West Cambridge Site. We offer a flexible, diverse, and inclusive working environment that considers your individual needs and believes in maintaining a sustainable work-life balance.
You will be part of Semarion’s first set of hires and work closely with our Founders/Executive team and Directors. We are happy to help you develop your own skills as you join us on our journey to build Semarion. Our working environment is extremely collaborative, and we believe that the key to our company’s development lies in the professional growth, development, and job satisfaction of the team that drives it.
We want Semarion to be the place that allows you to fulfil your professional aspirations while challenging yourself in new ways. We hope you can help us build a dynamic environment of support and encouragement that pushes the scientific and technological boundaries in drug discovery.