Start Date: May-June 2023 (flexible)
Salary: We offer a competitive compensation package including share options, subject to experience
Semarion is a dynamic, early-stage spin-out company interfacing advanced microchip materials with cellular disease models to create a cutting-edge cell-based assay platform. We are expanding our advanced materials team which focusses on technology development for our SemaCyte® microcarrier platform. Specifically, this involves materials characterization, rapid process prototyping, and the development and scale-up of pilot stage manufacturing for our technology, using a range of typical semiconductor device fabrication approaches.
We are searching for someone who is excited to join a small but rapidly growing team of cross-disciplinary researchers. A good foundational understanding of semiconductor processing is required. We envision this role growing in scope and responsibility as Semarion evolves.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us via email@example.com.
Semarion is a seed-stage spin-out from Cambridge University with a mission to accelerate the pace of drug discovery. We are revolutionising adherent cell screening to produce better drug data, faster. Our proprietary SemaCyte® microcarrier platform leverages novel materials physics to introduce flexibility, miniaturisation, and multiplexing into existing drug discovery workflows. By deploying techniques from the microchip industry, we create magnetically steerable cell carrier systems which can move small colonies of adherent cells for accelerated drug discovery and completely novel research paradigms. The company is focussed both on direct sales of its microcarriers and bespoke application development with biopharma partners.
For more information, visit www.semarion.com.
Your responsibilities in the role
- Work with our Process Lead to establish pilot scale wafer production and process tracking
- Manufacture SemaCyte® materials at the scale needed for internal use and any partnership projects
- Identify key process bottlenecks, establish and track process windows, and help in creating and deploying a manufacturing QA/QC protocol
- Track and develop a model for per unit costing of SemaCyte® materials
- Work towards final product assembly protocols
The qualities we are looking for
- Scientific curiosity and creativity: ability to identify interesting scientific results and build experiments to further explore them
- Evidence focussed and open communication: strong evidence-based and open discussions-based approach to solve challenging problems
- Integrity: work to our company values of exploration and inclusiveness
- Reliable: deliver against agreed objectives and good organisational skills
- Independence and teamwork: ability to reliably execute deliverables within a broader context of communication and collaboration
- Dynamic and willingness to learn: ability to thrive in the dynamic work environment of a small company and keen to further develop professionally
- Self-awareness: understand how others perceive you while knowing your strengths and weaknesses
- Thrive on feedback: understand that receiving feedback well and providing it constructively is a vital part of building a team that makes progress
The background we are looking for
- Degree in a Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related area or equivalent experience in semiconductor fabrication at the pilot process scale
- Good understanding of semiconductor manufacturing processes, with a focus on optical lithography and physical vapour deposition
- Experience in running wafer production processes at a small volume rate, i.e. 10+ wafers per week, is preferred
- Experience in working in interdisciplinary project teams is preferred
Working at Semarion
Semarion is based at the Maxwell Centre at the West Cambridge Site and uses laboratory space at the University of Cambridge Department of Physics, including the Physics of Medicine Centre. We offer a flexible, diverse, and inclusive working environment that considers your individual needs and supports you to achieve a sustainable work-life balance. To see our work benefits, visit www.semarion.com/careers/.
You will work closely with our founders and management team. We are happy to help you develop your skillset as you join us on our journey to build Semarion. Our working environment is extremely collaborative, and we believe that the key to our company’s development lies in the professional growth, development, and job satisfaction of the team that drives it.
We want Semarion to be the place that allows you to fulfil your professional aspirations while challenging yourself in new ways. We hope you can help us build a dynamic environment of support and encouragement that pushes the scientific and technological boundaries in drug discovery.